|Lifespan||10-15 years in the wild|
Baraskas (/bɑː.ˈrɑːˌ.skɑː/) were a race of non-sapient organisms which were indigenous to the planet Dosganna which have since gone extinct. Their two mouths (one outer carnivorous mandible and one inner set of feeding tentacles) are protected by six prehensile tentacles. They directly led towards the evolution of the Vhalslask millions of years down the line, whom would one day rule over Dosganna.
- Home Planet: Dosganna
- Species Type: Warm-blooded Terrestrial Organism
- Lifestyle: Social Opportunistic Omnivores
- Hunt/Forage Success Rate: 98% Hunt (23% success rate), 2% Forage (16% success rate)
- Armor: Unspecified
- Defenses: Unspecified
- Weapons: Unspecified
- Tools: Unspecified
- Feeding Style: Opportunistic Omnivore (Jawed Mandibles and Feeding Tentacles) - Preference for Carnivory
- Method of Eating: Unspecified
- Reproductive Rate: Sexual maturity is reached after 3 years. Reproduce during the warm summer months.
- Gestation: 1 month then lays eggs.
- Offspring Incubation: 1 month until egg hatches after being laid.
- Number of Offspring: ~13 polyps per clutch.
- Offspring Survival Rate (before age of maturity): 12% -- due to their non-sapience and the small size of their young, many are picked off by predators before they reach maturity.
- Singular/Plural/Possessive: Baraska / Baraskas / Baraskan
Baraskas evolved on their homeworld due to panspermia, with their most ancient ancestors having survived orbital entry while cryogenically hibernated due to being deep within the meteorite itself. Their known ancestors proceed as follows:
- "Unnamed Extradosgarestrial Cellular Organism"
- Several unknown descendants
Unfortunately, nothing is truly known about the Vhalslaskian aquatic evolutionary tree at this time. Xenobiologists and Xenopaleontologists are currently diligently at work trying to uncover clues to the full history of the Vhalslasks and their "past selves". While a number of species had to exist to allow them to adapt to the level they reached, only one is currently referred to:
- "Unnamed Ancestor of Tentaichthys landfall"
- In Spore, Baraskas have an interesting animation for their mouth-tentacles, which roll almost in waves together around the mouth in unison.
- The Vhalslask were the second species Somarinoa played in Spore after the Praazhm (during the time that his own computer lacked the room to hook up for six months straight).
- The Baraska were named in tribute to the Tarkatan leader from Mortal Kombat, Baraka, specifically due to the wrist blades.